I’m not sure yet if I can sell my already released music directly due to contracts signed with labels, but I setup a selling option for a single track to find out how does it works.
First of all you have to “Become Official” (as they call) to getting started. I don’t know what criteria they have, but I’ve got confirmation in 5 minutes after submission:
After that, new “Selling” tab become available in tracks/sets options:
- You can choose individually which tracks/sets to sell by clicking on checkbox.
- The fee will goes directly do your PayPal account.
- You can set up any price for your tracks/sets.
- You can upload more files which user will get downloadable after purchase. For example, I activated selling option for “Out Of This World (Preview)”. But no one want to buy previews, right? So I’ve uploaded a full-length lossless version of this track, plus additionally cover artwork and PDF info file — that’s what will be available after purchasing.
- You can make your tracks available for selling only within a sets or individually, it’s up to you. You can also set up a different price for the sets, i.e. make a discount for buying entire album.
That’s how purchase window looks like:
I asked my friend to buy one track just to see how it works. Here comes the bad things:
1) I didn’t receive any notification from PayPal regarding payment I’ve got. Although such option maybe available somewhere in depth of PayPal settings, I’m not sure.
2) I had to manually accept payment, otherwise transaction was not finished, so the buyer (my friend in this case) could not get download link. That’s really sucks and I have no idea if it’s possible to change it somehow (perhaps those who familiar with PayPal could give an advice in comment box below?).
3) PayPal took huge cuts, 0.39€ to be more precise. I.e. from 1€ I’ve got only 0,61.
4) Download link went to my friend’s inbox with pretty big delay, about 20 minutes I guess. I actually thought to write angry email to HearThis support, luckily it has worked in the end.
“Your purchases” page:
Oh, and seems like a bug: the download link is still available, and If I wish, I could give to anyone I want, i.e. purchased once, link to downloading that track will become permanent ;-) I guess they’ll fix it soon.
I’d say, the system is yet kinda raw, but I like the way HearThis goes, looks like a very artists-friendly platform. If label allows me to sell music directly, I’ll definitely make my latest releases available there, for those who would like to support artists directly It’s a great opportunity. Let’s see how it goes.
Would you buy music directly from an artist?